Tip: Right click on the banner blow and open it into a new windows or tab.

Repairing and Upgrading Your PC by O'Reilly Media

August 2, 2009

I easily repair broken NetworkManager in Debian Lenny

Ever since I did this test Debian Lenny installation with encrypted LVM, I've had trouble with NetworkManager, the package that allows for "easy" management of networking settings. A lot of people dislike this package and prefer to do everything manually. I'm OK with manual configuration, but I like the easy of using this utility.

The problem was that when I went to System - Administration - Network in the GNOME desktop in Debian Lenny, I would get the applet but not the sign-in. I didn't have to supply the root password to modify the settings.

But none of those settings would stick, either. I had to manually configure the network to get the bits flowing.

I had the idea that if I reinstalled all the NetworkManager-related packages, that action might set things right.

So in the Synaptic Package Manager, I searched for NetworkManager. I reinstalled everything that had to do with it:

libnm-glib0
libnm-util0
network-manager
network-manager-gnome

Then I rebooted. I went back into NetworkManager to change my networking (the networks I had set up were still there).

A check of ifconfig in a root terminal:

# ifconfig

revealed that my networking STILL hadn't changed. But a check of /etc/resolv.conf showed that my nameservers DID change.

So I used the root terminal and vi to edit /etc/network/interfaces and REMOVED the static IP lines in there, leaving only these for eth0:

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
auto eth0

No comments: